Keagan is the only child of my three that loves to help me bake. I remember Avery baking with me when she was younger but only a few times. Sadly, now with her being 10 it seems she has other interests. Caleb only likes the Pillsbury cookies that you just have to put on the cookie sheet and put in the oven.
I had 3 very ripe bananas and decided to make banana bread and make this an activity for my little helper. Keagan loved dumping in all the ingredients and stirring it all up, although he got very upset once I started peeling the bananas. He loves bananas and was disappointed to find out that I wasn't peeling them for him to eat but to put them in the bowl to make banana bread.
When I first told him that we were going to make banana bread, he pushed the chair up to the counter and looked for the plastic container that held some store bought banana bread that we finished up just yesterday. He was sad that it was all gone and that we weren't eating banana bread just yet.
I used a different recipe this time and it stated to bake for 20-30 minutes. I knew that it wasn't enough time to bake it because most recipes say an hour. I took it out after about 45 minutes and inserted a toothpick and it wasn't ready and I knew this because it started to sink in the middle. Uh-oh! Well, when I was putting it back into the oven my hand slipped (oven mitts never fit me right) and I dropped it, not far as the oven door was open but enough for it to sink even more. I let it bake until the toothpick came out clean and I let it sit to cool. It wasn't a pretty banana bread but Keagan, Caleb, Chris and I still enjoyed eating a piece for dessert at lunch. I do remember now that I had this problem one other time and I must have used the same recipe. Even though it didn't turn out, it was still delicious and was made with love!
3 comments:
The funny looking loaves always taste the best! My kids all love to cook with me which is both a blessing and a curse.
Mmmm... I can practically smell it! My guys like to have it for breakfast too!
Sounds yummy to me! Last time I made banana bread i must not have put the toothpick in the middle, because it ended up having this lump of raw dough at the top - well actually in the middle because it sank WAY down.
Post a Comment